Sunday, September 24, 2006

Via Ferrata

After the WVUSG's beginners weekend, we climbed the via ferrata at Nelson Rocks WV. I've never rock climbed before (but I've got plenty of rappelling experience), and I was able to do the course easily. The entire course is bolted with steel rungs and steel cable. You have two lanyards attached to your harness so that when clipping into the next piece of protection, you always have at least one lanyard attached. You get some serious exposure and the views from up on the rock cliffs are absolutely breathtaking. In my opinion, it is easily worth the $35 fee to do the via at least once. Sadly, there was a fatality there the weekend after our visit - I believe the first major accident there ever.


Rich and Dave ascend the first wall of the via ferrata. We are carrying rappelling gear that we never actually got to use. (Photo: Jason Thomas)

See also my via ferrata photos.

No comments: